All good things come to an end… Fortunately, Virtual Dave isn’t one of them. I’ve recently made the decision to drop my own remote assistance software in favor of using a new open-source VNC launcher called Gitso. This launcher has a few benefits over the previous iterations of my older “Virtual Dave” software:
- Lightweight: It’s written in Python and loads very fast.
- Simple: Sometimes losing a couple “bells and whistles” is a good thing.
- Multiple platforms: Gitso works on Windows, Ubuntu Linux and Mac OS X.
- Active Development Pipeline: A feature request I submitted was approved for the next version less than a half hour after I submitted it.
- Open-Source: Free as in freedom.
There are a lot of features in the coming versions of this software I have been looking for in a VNC tool for a long time. And who knows, I might learn a thing or two about programming in Python with this little tool.